toon-members

Re: [Toon-members] TooN license on Savannah

From: E. Rosten
Subject: Re: [Toon-members] TooN license on Savannah
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 10:48:01 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 May 2010, Gerhard Reitmayr wrote:

hmmmm, I don't get the wording of that either. linking -> GPL, but linking ->
do what you want :)

I am two minds about licenses for TooN/libcvd...

On the one hand, I think that companies can replicate the functionality in
TooN, if they want to. so a more liberal license would be ok to just support
its uptake.

On the other hand, the LGPL/GPL licensing of TooN already created some offers
at least for Cambridge which might otherwise not be made.

This makes me want to stick with the GPL with exceptions. The license is liberal enough (enough companies use GCC). I think that the (L)GPL is now widespread enough, with enough companies using it that it will make less and less difference as time goes on.

So I can't really decide... looks like the GPL way does help...

I've had this debate with myself a number of times. The recent events have made me settle in favour of the GPL.

-Ed

cheers,
 Gerhard