toon-members

Re: [Toon-members] Precision in SE3::exp()

From: Gerhard Reitmayr
Subject: Re: [Toon-members] Precision in SE3::exp()
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:54:36 +0200

On 28 Mar 2012, at 23:15, Simon Taylor wrote:

> > ok, so the problem is with the patch or without ?
>
> For me, the patch "fixes" the difference in behaviour - that is, gives the
> same output both with and without a "using namespace std;".

of course, because then the name is fully qualified.

>> it should probably be done similar to sqrt:
>>
>> using std::cos, std::sin;
>>
>> and later sin(Precision p)
>>
>> This is useful, if Precision is something completely different, for example
>> automatic differentiation class (like FADBAD++ that I am using). then the
>> compiler will also look in the namespaces of the Precision type to find a
>> matching sin overload. Otherwise, if there isn't one in std:: it will fail.
>
> That makes sense. I always forget about C++ doing that search for functions
> in the namespace of the parameters, that's pretty neat.
>
>> but, I tried to test this with FADBAD++ and it didn't fail :/
>
> Hmm, can the types be implicitly converted to double or something?

not sure, but usually not. anyway, if I find some time, I will test this
further.

>> In anycase shouldn't there be a warning, then the double expression is
>> assigned to the float value at the end ? this should provide some heads-up
>> that there is something going on.
>
> That warning isn't enabled by default on GCC, it's not in -Wall or -Wextra,
> and needs to be specifically requested with -Wconversion. I hadn't realised
> that until today, but it's now part of my standard warning flags.
>
> The other interesting warning flag is -Wdouble-promotion, which warns when
> some floats are promoted to double for an expression:
> float f=1.3f;
> if(f < 2.4) // f promoted to double here for the comparison
>
> Obviously the promotion above won't change behaviour, but it might be
> undesirable on platforms without hardware floating point. I guess for
> float/double that could be fixed to if(f < Precision(2.4)) - would that have
> any problems generalising to FADBAD++ or other types? Also, it's pretty ugly,
> so might not be something we want to sprinkle liberally throughout TooN.

usually its fine, because 2.4 would be promoted to a FADBAD++ type, or the
FADBAD++ type has a comparison function for doubles or something. But I can see
that this is tricky. I am using TooN on mobiles but I usually use it as float
and it works ok. I don't see big speed problems, even if there are some
occasional promotions :)

but I guess the Precision(2.4) is the only working solution to avoid these kind
of promotions.

cheers,
  Gerhard