tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss] ldap virtual auth plugin : near release

From: Prune
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss] ldap virtual auth plugin : near release
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:53:11 +0100

re,

Paul Makepeace wrote:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:31:50AM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
... And a general question. Wouldn't it be better to allow
the administrator to specify the whole LDAP filter
strings, based on insertions like $(user) etc., in the
config file? Then your scheme would be represented by

auth-ldap-filter: (mail=$(local_part)@$(domain))

and other users could invent whatever filters they wanted?

Another technique in LDAP is to store the filters themselves in some
part of the directory. This removes the need for config file editing,
server restarts etc and provides the opportunity for dynamic directory
structures.

[We used to also put stubs of Perl code in the directory but I wouldn't
offer that out-of-the-box :-)]

Paul

what would be the use ?
the filter is something static, isn't it ?
putting it in ldap would
-add one more search (it's ok if it's just one at start)
-need one to add it to his directory before being able to use tpop3d

would you please give us an example ?
I think my ldap knowledge is not as good as your :)

Cheers,

Prune