tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss] problem with password containing spaces

From: Chris Lightfoot
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss] problem with password containing spaces
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:53:01 +0100

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 06:48:34PM +0200, Tadas Þelionis wrote:

> at lest versions 1.3.5 & 1.4.1 of tpop3d can't handle password containing
> space because of POP command parameter parsing mechanism.

This is left unclear in the spec (RFC 1939)--

  Since the PASS command has exactly one argument, a POP3
  server may treat spaces in the argument as part of the
  password, instead of as argument separators.

I made the decision to make the command parsing
consistent rather than to adopt this special case. It
could be changed, I suppose.

Note that this does not affect the APOP mechanism
(obviously).

> kinda serious bug, affects a lot of users...

Really? I was under the impression that most users had
passwords like `secret', `hello' and `123'.

--
``Of course, it doesn't matter much where you live south of the river these
  days. Under the New London Plan, they're going to lump all those areas