tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d, version 1.5.3

From: Odhiambo Washington
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d, version 1.5.3
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:53:11 +0300

* Chris Lightfoot <address@hidden> [20031124 23:49]: wrote:
> http://ex-parrot.com/~chris/tpop3d/tpop3d-1.5.3.tar.gz
>
> Fixed a couple of errors in the man page and configuration
> directives which got lost; thanks to Haris Hudji.
> Increased the default value for max-children from 16 to
> 100. Fixed a typo in Makefile.am. Incorporated a patch
> from Diego Alvarez to allow substitution variables to be
> used in LDAP base configurations.  Altered the apop-only
> option to affect unsecured connections only, following a
> suggestion by Dave Baker. Fixed the `mass virtual hosting'
> option, following a bug report from Matthew Trent.
> Improved performance under heavy load; thanks to Larry
> Chancy for helping to identify this problem. Also added an
> optional cache for authentication results; most users will
> not need this, but it may help for very busy servers.
> Fixed a bug in the TLS implementation which could cause
> connections to be dropped by the server; thanks to Dave
> Baker, Jens Liebchen and others for assistance with this.

A big "Thank you" to Chris and everyone whose input facilitated
ver 1.5.3.
I have upgraded to this version and my client using Opera are now
a happy lot, since they don't have to operate M$ outhouse and Opera
in tandem (or was it side-by-side?).

A few questions:
              1. Where does tpop3d write the cached info? As in what is
                 the path of the destination file?
              2. How do I measure the improvement created by using the
                 new auth cacheing system? I have one of those busy
                 servers and I've enabled this cache mechanism.
              3. On my servers, tpop3d has never been a resource hog
                 before. Now, how to I gauge what a 'heavy load' situation is?
                 Chris has noted that one of the functionality pluses in the new
                 version is "Improved performance under heavy load".

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                                                 --from a /. post