tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss] Mail 'read' status

From: James Gurney
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss] Mail 'read' status
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:55:59 -0800

Chris Lightfoot wrote:
tpop3d doesn't alter the status headers of mail. It does,
however, allow the modification time of the mailbox to be
updated. If I remember rightly, wu-imapd makes some
complicated attempt to restore the modification time on
the mailbox to its value at the beginning of the session,
which is completely broken. It is possible that this is
responsible for the difference in behaviour.

Which ailbxo format are you using?

Plain old mbox format. I tried a test by sending a mail, reading it, then using touch to update the file modified date. It was still marked as read when I re-opened pine, so I'm not sure that's necessarily the problem.

I should also mention that so far, I've been unable to reproduce the original problem in my testing (although I've seen it happen with the user's mailbox). The only part that I'm not testing is the removal of messages more than n days old, so it might well have something to do with that. I'll test that next.

James