tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss] My mods - will they break anything?

From: Chris Lightfoot
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss] My mods - will they break anything?
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 00:56:54 +0000

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 01:30:03PM -0800, address@hidden wrote:
> I've switched from Qpopper to tpop3d, mainly for the
> different auth methods and maildir support.  One thing
> Qpopper does is to rewrite the mailbox adding a Status:
> to indicate that messages were read, which is useful
> for us because our webmail app uses this info.
>
> So I made some minor mods to tpop3d as follows:
>
> - A message stays in 'new' until an actual RETR
>   command is issued for it.  TOP and other commands
>   are not sufficient to mark a message as 'read'.
>
> - Once retrieved via RETR, a message is moved into
>   'cur' as before.
>
> - The sendmessage function inserts a "Status: R" line
>   when sending the headers, if the message is in "cur".
>
> - The message itself is never actually rewritten.
>
> This seems to work just fine, and our webmail app now
> keeps better track of read vs. unread messages.
>
> I'm wondering what side-effects, if any, there might be
> from this?

The only problem I can think of is that -- unless you've
changed the STAT responses too -- the sizes reported by
tpop3d will differ from the true message sizes, because of
the inserted Status: R headers. This probably isn't a
problem with typical clients.

--
``There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do
  something, we'd all love one another.'' (Frank Zappa)