tpop3d-devel

[tpop3d-discuss]Permission problems with tpop3d

From: Rob Fulton
Subject: [tpop3d-discuss]Permission problems with tpop3d
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:54:02 +0000

Hi,

We have setup tpop3d with exim and maildirs, all of the user details are loaded from a mysql backend, it is currently working happily for over 1000 users except for a small problem of permissions.

None of our users run under local accounts on the system, their mail is stored in /var/spool/mail/username/.... Ideally all directories under /var/spool/mail should be owned by user mail, group mail. Files should be read/write user and directories should be read/write/execute user. Currently however we must run everything with group permissions set the same as user permissions on the data, i.e rw_rw____ for files and rwxrwx___ for directories. Tpop3d and exim both run as user mail.

If we try and run with the more secure permissions, we get the following errors in the tpop3d.log :

maildir_build_index: opendir(new): Permission denied

This fault appears to be caused by the opendir call in maildir.c, as far as we can tell, if the directory isn't openable as group mail, the call fails, even if the actual server can open it due to it being openable by user mail.

Has anyone come across this problem or a fix?

Regards

Rob Fulton