tpop3d-devel

[tpop3d-discuss]Re: Compiling with mysql support

From: Dom Gallagher
Subject: [tpop3d-discuss]Re: Compiling with mysql support
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:07:37 -0500

At 06:00 AM 5/11/2004, address@hidden wrote:
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:38:19 -0700
From: James Gurney <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: [tpop3d-discuss]Compiling with mysql support

Banging my head against a wall here trying to get mysql support compiled
in. My configure line is as follows:

./configure --enable-auth-passwd --disable-auth-pam
--enable-shadow-passwords --enable-mbox-bsd --enable-tls
--enable-fcntl-locking --dis
able-dotfile-locking --enable-auth-mysql
--with-mysql-include-dir=/usr/local/mysql-3.23.49a-pc-linux-gnu-i686/include
--with-mysql-lib-dir=/usr/local/mysql-3.23.49a-pc-linux-gnu-
i686/lib

This results in the error:

configure: error: vmail-sql authentication enabled, but mysql_init
doesn't seem to be available.

Searching the mail archives seemed to indicate that I should modify the
configure script to include -lz, although it appears to be there
already. However, it doesn't seem to be actually using -lz when it
compiles the test. From config.log:

You're correct.

I've tried re-extracting the archive and starting from scratch, so
there's nothing cached, but still no go. I've considered the possibility
that maybe my mysql version is a little old. Upgrading it is the next
thing on my todo list, but I thought I'd throw it out here first to see
if anyone has any other suggestions.

Sometimes (and it's pretty random), configure just will not work out that it needs -lz for MySQL. I'd recommend upgrading to MySQL 4 as it's extremely stable, but it may not fix your issues. If not, just fire up an editor, find the LIBS line (will look something like : LIBS = -lmysqlclient -lcrypt -lnsl -lsocket -lm') and add '-lz' to the end and run make again. You may find you need to manually add -lm too, depending on how configure goes. :)

D.

--
Dom Gallagher (address@hidden)
Development Engineering

This message is sent in confidence to the addressees.
It may contain privileged, proprietary, or confidential information.