tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss]virtual hosting: /etc/hosts mapping or inverse name

From: Mike Pinkerton
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss]virtual hosting: /etc/hosts mapping or inverse name resolution??? please help
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:33:23 -0400

At 18:41 +1200 2004/08/17, PhilG wrote:
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me solve this problem with tpop3d 1.7.3

[snip]

Note that for this to work, all interfaces on which connections
are to be accepted must have functioning inverse name resolution; also, in
this case, tpop3d  will  do  a  name lookup  for  each  incoming
connection,  which may block in the event of a DNS failure. You  may  wish
to   create   some  other  mapping  --  perhaps  in /etc/hosts -- to ensure
that this does not occur.
[end quote]

So how do I setup the /etc/hosts map? or the inverse name resolution? has
anyone had this problem?

Phil:

I don't know the specifics of what tpop3d is doing with name resolution, but generally to use your hosts file for name resolution, you want /etc/hosts to contain a mapping of IP addresses to host names and aliases in the following format:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
IP.ad.dr.ess    host.domain.tld alias

Alias is optional -- you don't need it if the host doesn't have any aliases (generally equivalent to DNS CNAME records). If you have multiple domains on a single IP address, you should have multiple lines with the same IP address followed by the multiple host.domain.tld names.

I don't know if tpop3d's default behavior is to consult /etc/hosts before DNS, but in case it uses the system default, you should make sure that /etc/hostconf contains the following order:

order hosts,bind

If you are using something other than BIND for DNS, that line may need to be adjusted accordingly.

I have had other problems with auth-flatfile, specifically with the hashing of passwords, that I have yet to sort out. I hope you meet with more success than I have done so far.

--
Mike Pinkerton