Re: Getting TRAMP 2.0.25 working in NT Emacs 21.2.1 with Cygwin 1.3.12-1

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: Getting TRAMP 2.0.25 working in NT Emacs 21.2.1 with Cygwin 1.3.12-1
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:33:33 -0400

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I've now added some words to the manual.  What do you think?

>    If you use the Cygwin installation of ssh (you have to explicitly
> select it in the installer), then it should work out of the box to just
> select `sshx' as the connection method.  You can find information about
> setting up Cygwin in their FAQ at `http://cygwin.com/faq/'.
>
>    If you wish to use the `scpx' connection method, then you might have
> the problem that Emacs calls `scp' with a Windows filename such as

That should probably say "NT Emacs" instead of just "Emacs".  Emacs does
come with Cygwin, and though I've never used it, I doubt that it
generates pathanames of the form "c:/path/name".

> `c:/foo'.  The Cygwin version of `scp' does not know about Windows
> filenames and interprets this as a remote filename on the host `c'.
>
>    One possible workaround is to write a wrapper script for `scp' which
> converts the Windows filename to a Cygwinized filename.
>
>    I guess that another workaround is to run Emacs under Cygwin, or to
> run a Cygwinized Emacs.

You might want to distinguish the various cases like this:

1. NT Emacs launched from a desktop shortcut.  This has the problem that
   if fails to inherit SSH_AUTH_SOCK from the user's shell.

2. NT Emacs started from Cygwin Bash.  This avoids the problem that #1
   has.

3. Cygwin Emacs launched from a desktop shortcut.  This has the problem
   that if fails to inherit SSH_AUTH_SOCK from the user's shell.

4. Cygwin Emacs started from Cygwin bash.  This avoids the problem that #1
   has and also avoids the problem with the "c:" prefix in scp filename
   arguments.
--
Francis Litterio
address@hidden