Re: Calling make remotely

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Calling make remotely
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:39:09 +0100

"Felix E. Klee" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am developing on remote computers that are faster than my client computer.
> To edit source files I use TRAMPs ssh-mode. This works very well. However, I
> don't know what is the best way to run Makefiles on the remote machines.
> Currently I am using EMACS compile command with parameters like "ssh host
> \"cd some/directory; make target1 target2\"". Are there any other less
> cumbersome ways to execute make on the remote machine?

I wish Tramp supported M-x compile RET right out of the box.  The main
problem with this is that I don't know how to create async shell
commands.  For the time being, tramp-util.el contains a function
tramp-compile which displays the compilation buffer only after the
command is complete.

Does anyone have an idea how to implement async shell commands?
Tramp has a shell connection, and if several async commands are
running inside that shell it is not trivial to figure out which
output belongs to which async command.

Probably the most promising approach is to open a separate connection
to the remote end.  But this means that Tramp has to remember all the
passwords or require the user to type them again.

kai