Re: Patch: makes tramp-vc.el work w/ CVS servers that reject absolute pa

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Patch: makes tramp-vc.el work w/ CVS servers that reject absolute pathnames
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:23:21 +0100

Francis Litterio <address@hidden> writes:

> I was using TRAMP to access a remote file that was under CVS and kept
> getting errors from CVS of the form:
>
>    absolute pathname `/lhome/litterio/src/foo/bar' illegal for server
>
> The problem is that my company's CVS server (over which I have no
> control), doesn't accept absolute pathnames.  For example:
>
>       bash$ cvs log /lhome/litterio/src/Makefile
>       absolute pathname `/lhome/litterio/src/Makefile' illegal for server
>
> But it's fine with relative pathname, so I made the below change to cope
> with this.  Since this is a fairly significant change, I protected with
> with a configuration variable (tramp-vc-use-relative-pathnames) that
> defaults to the original behavior.  So far, all CVS-in-Emacs-over-TRAMP
> activity has been working OK for me (e.g., commit, log, diff, etc.).
>
> What do you think?

With your patch, things rely on the current working directory being
the same directory as the filename given.

How about changing (file-name-nondirectory path) to something which
gives the path relative to the current directory?  Maybe
(file-relative-name file default-directory)?

I used file instead of path as the first arg for file-relative-name
because default-directory also includes the user/host prefix stuff.

What do you think?