Re: Two problems with tramp & smb

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Two problems with tramp & smb
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 11:06:43 -0600

Christoph Bauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> now - after I worked a little bit with tramp - I had to report two
> problems with tramp (version 2.0.38, method smb, smbclient 3.0.1pre3).
>
>    * backup files:
>        tramp tries to save the backup file (#file#) to
>        a nonexisting directory. BTW, this directory was formerly the
>        src/ subdir in the build directory of emacs. (.../emacs-21.3/src).
>
>    * new files:
>         it is not possible to create a new file. I get just an useless
> read-only
>         buffer.

I reported some problems here that look like they were similar to
yours recently.  It turned out to be faulty syntax in some cases and
one of the windows machines involved only recognized Uppercase names.

Can you post exact syntax used and the contents of buffer named like
*tramb smb/HOST*  Where HOST is the name you are trying to connect to.
In each instance.