Re: Two problems with tramp & smb

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Two problems with tramp & smb
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 22:32:32 +0100

Christoph Bauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

> I had to apply this patch by hand (because of a white space
> problem?), but it does its job!

OK, I'll commit it to CVS once savannah is back.

> I have two other questions:
>
>    * Is there a right way to restart the smb connection, when the
>      server was down (e.g. I put my laptop in a sleep/suspend mode. After
>      that tramp cannot connect to the server again.) Should I kill the
>      *tramp/smb ...* buffer?

Hmm, I haven't a laptop, so I cannot reproduce. Tramp should recognize
a broken connection. If not, a bug report (including backtrace and
*tramp/smb ...* as well as *debug tramp/smb ...* buffers) would be
helpfull.

Deleting the *tramp/smb ...* buffer should force a reconnection. But
it isn't the natural way.

>    * I want to use `grep'. Is there a grep written in emacs-lisp
>      that loads the files with tramp?

An implementation of `find-name-dired' and `find-grep-dired' for Tramp
directories (not only the smb method) is on my wish list for a long
time. And hey, there's XMas soon. Maybe we will get it this year?

> Viele Grüße,
> Christoph

Best regards, Michael.