Re: efs + tramp + emacs problem.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: efs + tramp + emacs problem.
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:40:39 +0100

Alex Koval <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, since I started using new syntax with xemacs it works fine. Only
> 'emacs' have some bugs with opening files, and since that fact I
> stopped using it, and installed xemacs. Xemacs is a little slower,
> but at least it does not break on each file I am trying to open (its
> a little annoying when you have to edit hundreds of files everyday).
>
> I am not sure what unified-filenames syntax means? I understand that
> it means that I will be able to use same syntax for efs and SSH, but
> I did not know it exactly how I should call efs from xemacs. I tried
> something like /[ftp/address@hidden/ but it does not work. Same with
> /[efs/address@hidden/

The intention is that with the following two lines

(setq tramp-unified-filenames t)
(require 'tramp)

you'll be able to say C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:/some/file RET to open a
file via ssh and C-x C-f /ftp:address@hidden:/some/file RET to open a file
via ftp (ie, EFS).

In principle, it would be possible to have Tramp invoke EFS via the
non-unified syntax /[ftp/address@hidden/some/file, but I didn't implement
that.

> While it still tries to open 'ssh' via ftp when I try to open file
> like /ssh:address@hidden:/

Hm.  Whether this is good or bad depends on your setting of
tramp-unified-filenames...

The term "unified filename syntax" comes from the fact that Tramp
filenames "look similar" to Ange-FTP/EFS filenames, and also that
Ange-FTP/EFS is treated like a Tramp method when you enable that
feature.

Compare /ssh:address@hidden:/some/file
with    /ftp:address@hidden:/some/file -- sure looks similar.
Also, Tramp supports some abbreviations where it guesses the method
from the user/host components.  For example, with unified filenames
enabled, Tramp will guess to use FTP when the user name is ftp, or
when the host name starts with ftp.  So /address@hidden:/some/file is an
abbreviation for /ftp:address@hidden:/some/file and
/address@hidden:/some/file is an abbreviation for
/ftp:address@hidden:/some/file.

I was trying to ask Michael what happens when you use

    (setq tramp-unified-filenames t)
    (require 'tramp)

and then use filenames like /ssh:address@hidden:/some/file and
/ftp:address@hidden:/some/file.