Re: tramp (2.0.38); asking for address@hidden

From: Mario Domgörgen
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.38); asking for address@hidden
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:27:04 +0100

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> Mario Domgörgen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If i want to use tramp to edit a file on a ftp server with find-file
>> "/ftp:address@hidden:/some/path/index.html". The file is loaded but
>> tramp asks me for the password of "address@hidden" and returns a error as
>> naturally there is no ftp-server named "ftp"... but neverless the file is
>> loaded?!
>
> Hm.  Are there any other ill effects besides the wrong prompt?
>
> I wonder where the bogus prompt comes from.  I tested things from
> Emacs 21.3 and it asked me the right question, but I didn't test with
> CVS Emacs.  (I don't normally have an ftp server to talk to, so I
> usually just use anonymous ftp for testing.)

The problems seems to come from ange-ftp-canonize-filename which
replaces /ftp:address@hidden:/some/path/index.html with
ftp:/some/path/index.html and then usees the defaults values address@hidden
for accessing that file.

But I'm not very sure, as it works since i add

(add-to-list 'tramp-default-method-alist '("\\ftp-b\\." "" "ftp"))

to my .emacs and just use "/address@hidden:/some/path/index.html.

The "/ftp:" part of the syntax seems to irritate ange-ftp?!

Mario

--
Stay the patient course
Of little worth is your ire