ange-ftp-name-format needs to be improved

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: ange-ftp-name-format needs to be improved
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:45:34 +0900

Hi,

I'm using latest Emacs and Tramp both checked out from CVS.
When I performed the `f' command in order to open a file in the
dired buffer for the directory:

/ftp:address@hidden:/somewhere/

it attempts to connect to the remotehost as an anonymous user.
It is because the default value for the ange-ftp-name-format
variable is not suitable to Tramp file names:

(ange-ftp-ftp-name "/ftp:address@hidden:/somewhere/file")
 => ("ftp" "anonymous" "address@hidden:/somewhere/file")

The leading "ftp:" is needed when I want to use ftp rather than
ssh because of the default value of tramp-default-method.  I've
confirmed that the problem can be fixed by improving the default
value for the ange-ftp-name-format variable as follows:

(setq ange-ftp-name-format
        2 1 3))

I greatly appreciate if someone modifies the Emacs source code.

Thanks in advance,
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden>