Re: tramp (2.1.1); tramp hangs on 'Setting shell prompt'

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.1); tramp hangs on 'Setting shell prompt'
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:38:27 +0200

Phil Suh <address@hidden> writes:

> I should clarify. My local machine is Windows XP. The remote host is
>  a Unix box.  However, from the information in the tramp-debug-buffer I
> infer that Tramp is going to my local machine. I wondered if it
> might be a DNS problem, but I tried the IP address of the remote Unix box
> just now, with the same result. I also checked the logs of the remote Unix
> box, and it never shows a connection from tramp.
>
> Just now, trying a different unix box as a remote host had the same
> result. Bah.

Please set `tramp-verbose' to level 10. You can do it in your .emacs
via (setq tramp-verbose 10)

In your debug buffer, you should see at the beginning something like
this now:

sh-2.05b$ # Sending command `ssh localhost -l albinus  -e none; echo "Tramp
connection closed"; sleep 1'

Apply the quoted string between ` and ' on your command line. The
whole string as it is, in my example it would be

ssh localhost -l albinus  -e none; echo "Tramp connection closed"; sleep 1

This might give us some evidences.

> Phil

Best regards, Michael.