Re: How to make emacs "lock" files on remote host ?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: How to make emacs "lock" files on remote host ?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:58:34 +0200

Adrian Phillips <address@hidden> writes:

> Good day,
>
> I've figured out how to make backup files and auto-save files been on
> the host where the file resides, but one slight problem is the "lock"
> file that emacs creates when the file is first altered. How can I tell
> emacs/tramp to create the lock file on the remote machine - is it
> possible currently ?

That's not possible I guess. `lock-buffer' works for local files only;
it needs the Emacs PID etc which is not available for file operations
on remote hosts.

> I note a brief discussion about this from 2001 about
> verify-visited-file-modtime not being supported then but don't know
> whether this is still the case.

According to the Changelog, Kai has implemented it end of 2001. And it
detects file changes for methods who support this. It doesn't detect
it for foreign methods like ftp and smb, AFAIR.

> Sincerely,
>
> Adrian Phillips

Best regards, Michael.