Re: Tramp advises vc-user-login-name, how to remove?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp advises vc-user-login-name, how to remove?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:56:10 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> The above is very specific.  Not sure if it is better to use a
> lower-level, more generic function, say file-calling-user.  For normal
> files it would return the name of the user that invoked Emacs.  For
> remote files it would return the name of the remote user.
>
> What do people think?

Such a function is on my wishlist for a while, not only because of
vc. Together with a function which returns the hostname a filename is
referring to (this is not obvious due to default values).

Another approach would be to use `file-remote-p'. Up to now it is not
specified how the non-nil value looks like. It could be a list with
such attributes:

| Test whether file specifies a location on a remote system.
| Return an identification of the system if the location is indeed
| remote.  The identification of the system may comprise a method
| to access the system and its hostname, amongst other things.

> Kai

Best regards, Michael.