Re: tramp (2.0.48); tramp doesn't work with FreeBSD

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.48); tramp doesn't work with FreeBSD
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 09:42:18 +0200

Michael Kifer <address@hidden> writes:

> Tramp hangs when visiting directories on a remote FreeBSD machine
> from a Linux machinr. The hangup occurs when Tramp is trying to send
> tramp_file_attributes:

Very interesting.  Could you please read the documentation of the
variable tramp-chunksize and do as it says and report the results?
Please also try larger numbers, not just 1000.

Regardless of the result of the above, could you please try to see if
setting tramp-chunksize to, say, 100, helps to work around the problem
in the more recent Emacs checkout?

If the tramp-chunksize workaround catches it, then this would be the
first time at actual hints at changes in Emacs that might have caused
the problem.  Then one could start comparing the two versions, or go
hunting for the change that broke it.

(I think I first added the feature for someone using AIX, then it
cropped up for Redhat users (but not other GNU/Linux distributions),
and now you're reporting it for FreeBSD.)

Kai