Re: tramp (2.1.7); tramp remotely corrupts files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.7); tramp remotely corrupts files
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:09:14 +0200

Heow Eide-Goodman <address@hidden> writes:

> Guys,

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I was offline for some days ...

> It's been driving me nuts that Tramp has been corrupting remote files,
> even with the latest CVS version.  :-(  Tramp successfully reads the
> remote file, but when it's saved it looks ok in Tramp, but is corrupted
> on the target host.
>
> Anyway, it's easily reproducable with a specific host (LispNYC.org)
> from every host I've tested it on.  I'd be happy to set up a test
> account for you to reproduce it, this bug is sorta scarry and I love
> Tramp.

Is this just with this special remote machine, or a bug in general?
I'ld like to see the debug buffer of Tramp, in order to walk
through. Remote access to your machine (under a restricted account)
would be an option, too.

But your bug report gives already a hint:

>  tramp-cache-data '(([cl-struct-tramp-file-name "ssh" "heow"
> "lispnyc.org" nil]
>                      ("uname" "Linux 2.6.10-5-386")

This sounds like the n_tty driver bug in the Linux kernel 2.6.10
(fixed with 2.6.11). See discussion at
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/37967>

Do you see a chance to upgrade the remote machine?

> Thanks,
>
> - Heow

Best regards, Michael.