tramp (2.1.7); Problem with tramp-smb: file no longer exists, type g to

From: Tom Wurgler
Subject: tramp (2.1.7); Problem with tramp-smb: file no longer exists, type g to revert
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:01:29 -0500 (EST)

I wrote: I can connect to my shared drive ok via
I wrote:
I wrote: dired /smb:address@hidden:/Share/
I wrote:
I wrote: though once I get there I have a empty dired and I have to hit a "g",
then
I wrote: the file list comes up and looks fine.
I wrote:
I wrote: But then, when I move my cursor to any directory in the list and try
I wrote: to dive into it, it says:
I wrote:
I wrote: "File no longer exists; type `g' to update dired buffer"
I wrote:
I wrote: so I can't dired dirs. I hit the g but it continues to say the same
thing.
I wrote:
I wrote: Am I not doing things right or is this a bug?
I wrote: thanks
I wrote: tom
I wrote:
I wrote: Emacs  : GNU Emacs 22.0.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
Xaw3d scroll bars)
I wrote:  of 2006-10-31 on alnx004
I wrote: Package: tramp (2.1.7)

More info:

The next dir down that gave the above error is read-only.  As is even the next
level down from there (and I have no control on those permissions).  But then at
the next level down there are dirs that I can read and write to and if I type
all that path to start with, things start working.  I am able to dired, copy etc
etc from those dirs.

If I run smbclient from a shell window command line, I can cd to each of the
dirs that are read-only, do dirs etc and see the contents, so I think this
means that it is not the settings on the dir itself blocking tramp, but rather
something tramp detects as a problem when it isn't.  AFAICT, the read-only
attribute is the only thing different between dirs I can dired and those I
can't.

This sound reasonable?

Thanks
tom

ps I still have to do a "g" on each dir I go to.