Re: tramp-find-file-exists-command problem with ntemacs 22.0.92.1

From: Patrik Jonsson
Subject: Re: tramp-find-file-exists-command problem with ntemacs 22.0.92.1
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:06:10 -0800

Michael Albinus wrote:
> Patrik Jonsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Patrik,
>
>>> Hmm. Could you, please, restart Emacs with "emacs -q"? Then apply
>>>
>>> (setq debug-on-error t
>>>       debug-on-quit t)
>>>
>>> and rerun the test please. It should give you a backtrace, which might
>>> be helpful.
>> sure:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn't find command to check if
>> file exists")
>>   signal(error ("Couldn't find command to check if file exists"))
>>   error("Couldn't find command to check if file exists")
>>   tramp-find-file-exists-command(nil "plink" nil "governator")
>
> There is still nothing which should prevent Tramp from executing the
> next command. Mysterious.
>
> Could we apply some cross checks? Run Emacs 21.3 and Tramp 2.0.55, and
> run Emacs 22.0 and Tramp 2.0.48. Please make sure that there are no
> byte-compiled Tramp files. And run "emacs -q", as always.

Sorry for the slow reply, been traveling.

If I run emacs 22 and try to use 2.0.48 I get the following error when
trying to auto-complete a tramp filename:

apply: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (filename directory) "Like
`file-name-completion' for tramp files." (try-completion filename
(mapcar (quote list) (file-name-all-completions filename directory)))), 3

If I run emacs 21.3 and copy the tramp 2.0.55 lisp files from emacs22
into the 21.3 site-lisp directory, I get:

tramp: Finding command to check if file exists
if: Couldn't find command to check if file exists
setq: End of file during parsing

which looks like the same problem as before.

/Patrik