Re: make on OSX requires extra etex step

From: poti
Subject: Re: make on OSX requires extra etex step
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 03:45:55 -0400

On 16:00 Tue 10 Jul     , Michael Albinus wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
>
> > in fact, the problem is something in the syntax of the
> > test:
> >  $(if $(findstring no, $(TEXI2DVI)),,
> >
> > Forcing either branch does not lead to the error.
> > Only the intact (if (test),(then),(else)) form leads to the problem.
>
> Which version of make do you run? Could you, please, use the appended
> test.makefile for the following tests:
>
> address@hidden:[583] make -f test.makefile yes
> then yes
> address@hidden:[584] make -f test.makefile no
> else no
>
> The output shall appear as given in the example.

Thank you so much for the kind hint Michael. I had a look at a
Make tutorial and tried making some patches.

The problem is apparently at passing commands for texi2dvi to insert.
Here are the versions of texi2dvi I am using:
texi2dvi (GNU Texinfo 4.7) 1.3
and
texi2dvi (GNU Texinfo 4.8) 1.42

texi2dvi --help shows these versions do accept the -t option.
Any commands passed with -t or --command, for example those in the
texinfo manual, caused an error.
The following is sufficient to reproduce the problem (after
./configure):

texi2dvi -t "@set emacs" tramp.texi

Yielding the following:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(/tmp/t2d25009/xtr/tramp.texi
(/opt/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex
tables, conditionals, indexing, sectioning, toc, environments, defuns, macros,
cross references, insertions,
(/opt/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/epsf/epsf.tex) localization,
and turning on texinfo input format.) (./tramp.aux)
! Missing @endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   @def
@parseargusing #1#2->@def