Re: Tramp completion doesn't work like ange-ftp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp completion doesn't work like ange-ftp
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:54:04 +0200

Matthew Donaldson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Matthew,

> Now I want to open a file on the remote host again.  What I could do
> in ange-ftp is this:
>
> C-x C-f /use<TAB>
>
> and it would complete it to:
>
> /address@hidden:/
>
> And I could go on from there to get the file I wanted.
>
> This was very useful when dealing with long host names and/or long
> usernames, as it saved typing the username and hostname combinations
> all the time.

Now I got it.

Yes, this is indeed the behaviour of Tramp 2.0, as shipped with Emacs
22.1. The reason is that Tramp performs a lot of additional completion
attempts, and it passes functionality to ange-ftp only in case it
knows it must be handled by ange-ftp (after the ":", in your case).

In Tramp 2.1, this behaviour has been improved to something similar
you've used to apply with native ange-ftp. Tramp remembers connections
once they have been used, and offers corresponding completions. But
this Tramp version won't be bundled with Emacs 22.x, I suspect.

So if you want get back the old ange-ftp behaviour in Emacs 22.1, you
could keep a ~/.netrc file with valid entries. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

> Cheers
>
>              -Matthew

Best regards, Michael.