Re: emacs-rails over Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs-rails over Tramp
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:07:06 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ted,

> rails.el does a lot of calls that engage Tramp, even for syntax
> highlighting.  The effect is that as you type, the cursor will jump to
> the end of the buffer a lot, and input will be lost.  This makes the
> rails mode unusable over a Tramp connection.  I tested with the latest
> rails.el from SVN (svn co svn://rubyforge/var/svn/emacs-rails/trunk
> emacs-rails).
>
> I'm not sure if this is a emacs-rails problem or a Tramp problem, but it
> seems to me that Tramp should just work or fail gracefully.  Has anyone
> else seen this?  I'll file the bug with the emacs-rails bug tracker if
> it's not a Tramp issue.

I don't use emacs-rails, so I cannot really test.

Which version of Tramp do you use? Note that Tramp 2.1 performs much
better than Tramp 2.0.

If it is Tramp which performs bad, you might check its traces. Time
consuming operations are commands sent on the wire. Set tramp-verbose
to a suitable level. Maybe you can also provide us the traces if you
don't see useful information there.

> Ted

Best regards, Michael.