Re: shell - remote directories not in buffer-menu

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: shell - remote directories not in buffer-menu
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:42:26 +0100

Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,

Hi,

> AFAIS with M-x shell, remote directories are not indicated in
> buffer-menu.
>
> Eshell prompt looks like
>
> address@hidden:
>
> whereas  `buffer-menu' displays
>
> . * *eshell*               611  EShell            /usr/share/info/
>

> With shell prompt it's the same
>
> address@hidden:~>
>
> whereas `buffer-menu' says:
>
> . * ~/      360  Shell:run        ~/
>

> ;;;;;;;;;;
>
> Is there a way to change that?

I don't believe that it is only for remote directories. The buffers menu
shows usually the contents of the buffer local variable
`list-buffers-directory', if the buffer has no related `buffer-file-name'
(which is the case for shell and eshell). This directory is initialized
with the contents of `default-directory', when you open the shell or
eshell buffer, and it doesn't change afterwards.

It would be better to show the contents of `default-directory' in the
buffer menu in such cases, because this variable is updated when you "cd"
somewhere else.

> BTW: With `tramp' indication is much better, but don't
> know how to open a shell within.

That I don't understand.

> Thanks
>
> Andreas Röhler