tramp when there is no remote shell

From: Eyal Fink
Subject: tramp when there is no remote shell
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:10:07 +0200

Hi,
I have the following problem.
I want to be able to edit files which are located on something which is not a file system.
These files are structured in directories and has names like regular files: dir/subdir/filename
I have utils to access these files:
my-cp to copy (can copy from and to regular file system)
my-ls to list files in dir
my-test to test existence
etc. I believe I have a util for everything needed by tramp.

I am trying to hack tramp to do the job, and I wonder what do you think is the best way.
One thing I tried is to use a regular ssh mode but give it my own shell instead of sh - my shell runs sh and communicate with it by altering the command tramp is passing - I'm not sure why this doesn't work, I think that the messing with the prompt doesn't work properly for me.

I wonder if someone here can see an easy way to do what I want to do.

Thanks
Eyal