Tramp misunderstanding AFS ACLs

From: Steven Hirsch
Subject: Tramp misunderstanding AFS ACLs
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:34:18 -0400 (EDT)

I'm running into annoying behavior when editing a remote file living in AFS storage. AFS largely ignores the individual file permission bits and enforces access at the directory level.

Problem is that tramp decides a file must be opened in read-only mode based solely on the Unix permissions. I can manually toggle off read-only mode in the the emacs buffer, but it complains loudly at every subsequent save (even though these succeed without error).

Short of having tramp be smart enough to read and understand AFS ACLs, would it be possible to add a toggle that tells it not to draw any assumptions based on Unix bits? If the user truly has no write access, it will subsquently fail anyway and it would be their problem at that point.

This would be quite helpful to have. I'm not much of an emacs lisp guru, but if anyone can suggest a small modification or patch, I can just edit it into my own copy and be done. If it's thought to be generally helpful, perhaps this could be added to the next release.

Steve