Weird behaviour when entering the filename

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Weird behaviour when entering the filename
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:23:35 +0100

Hello,

I got a weird behaviour when I starting to open a remote file.

For example, if I want to open the following file '/ssh:server:.emacs',
I first do 'C-x C-f' and then enter the previous file name. But once I
press ':' for the first time, I got a new buffer called "*tramp/scp
ssh*" that pops up with the following message in it:

  Process *tramp/scp ssh* exited abnormally with code 255

and in the minibuffer I got:

  Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell

and nothing more for a while.

The weid thing is that while emacs is in this state, I can still
continue to enter the file name 'server:.emacs', the buffers seems to be
switched each time I'm pressing a key, and once I press <RETURN>, the
Tramp open the correct file.

I'm using emacs GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 from 2009-12-03, and Tramp
2.1.18-pre.

Could anybody tell me how to fix this ?

Thanks
--