Re: dired on freebsd machine does not get file permissions, lists horiz

From: Terrence Brannon
Subject: Re: dired on freebsd machine does not get file permissions, lists horizontally
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:30:16 -0400

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
Terrence Brannon <address@hidden> writes:

> I am starting emacs fresh from the shell, so I suppose nothing like that is
> retained between sessions, but I went ahead and did it anyway

Tramp keeps persistent settings in "~/.emacs.d/tramp". You must either
remove this file before starting emacs, or cleanup the settings by the
command I gave you.

>> Please set tramp-verbose to 6, and show the debug buffer, if it still
>> doesn't work.
>
> ok done. looks like we dont have getconf installed for one thing.

Yes. Tramp falls back to default settings instead of; you shall check,
whether they are sufficient. AFAIK, "getconf PATH" shall return under
FreeBSD "/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin".

 # which getconf
/usr/bin/getconf
 # getconf PATH
bash: getconf: command not found
 # echo $0
/bin/bash
 # locate getconf
/usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/getconf
 # `locate getconf` PATH
/bin:/usr/bin
  # uname -a
FreeBSD mmm9500 4.7-RELEASE-p22 FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p22 #0: Thu Sep 25 13:28:49 MDT 2008     address@hidden:/usr/home/z/cvs/os/freebsd4/sys/compile/BRIDGE  i386
 #

Tramp sets the PATH on that remote machine to
"/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin", which seems to be reasonable.

> The output is below, but it may be hard to read. I have pasted it here
> also: http://gist.github.com/478820

Thanks, that explains the situation. The patch for checking
"--color=never" works. But there is also another case, where the
"--dired" argument of ls disturbs Tramp.

I've committed another patch to Tramp's repository, which shall fix
this. Please apply again "M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections" before
running the test, because there are changed connection properties.

yes! I updated my cvs repo and installed the patched TRAMP! success!

Best regards, Michael

--
Search! Search! [DuckDuckGo](http://duckduckgo.com/?t=terrencebrannon)