relative remote path fails on 3rd evaluation

From: Dan Davison
Subject: relative remote path fails on 3rd evaluation
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:24:29 -0400

Evaluating this expression works as expected the first two times:

(let ((default-directory "/address@hidden:bench/"))
  (shell-command "ls" "*shell output*"))

In this case it happens to result in this output:

Papilio  aslink

However, on the third time I get

sh: cd: bench/: No such file or directory
Papilio  aslink

The remote directory ~/bench exists. What seems to be happening is that
tramp has attempted to cd into ~/bench/bench, which does not exist. This
is presumably because tramp has cached some connection information,
although I am a bit surprised that this kicks in on the third evaluation
and not the second. Calling `tramp-cleanup-all-connections' resets
things so that the first two evaluations work again and the third
generates the error message.

I can get round this by using absolute remote paths, but I feel that
this should not be happening with relative paths?

Dan

tramp 2.1.18-23.2
Emacs compiled from source
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2010-07-04 on
Luscinia
Ubuntu 10.04