Re: Tramp with sshfs

From: Mihai Lutescu
Subject: Re: Tramp with sshfs
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:59:38 +0300

Wow,

That's exactly what I did the last weekend.

I crafted a toy tramp method that I called `ext', because it relays on
an 'external' mount method for most operations that deal with files.
That may be sshfs or whatever else.

My feeling is, that method is much faster then scp or other tramp method
that I tried.

My implementation mounts sillently a directory "/tmp/address@hidden" to the
remote path "/ext:address@hidden:/".  That mapping is hardcoded right now,
but it's trivial to change it.

The only problem that I found after a few days of using it is the
expansion of "~" in remote paths like "/ext:address@hidden:~/".  That would
not too be to difficult to fix too, but requires to think about how to
map home directories to '/ext:' paths, which I was to lazy to.  For now
using a '~' will map to your local home directory.

Find attached the 'tramp-ext.el' method.

If you want to try that stuff, don't forget to modify mine
`tramp-login-program'.  (I use to use an expect script to launch
external processes)

I'm interested in your feedback.  If there is interest could volonteer
to maintain it.

Regards,
Mihai LuĹŁescu