Re: hang forever with an invalid tramp filename

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: hang forever with an invalid tramp filename
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 22:34:56 +0100

> Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>
> Hi Thierry,
>
>> I encountered some issues with tramp while writing `anything' completion
>> for hostnames:
>>
>> - tramp hang if i do (find-file "/ssh:toto")
>>   (notice the last ":" is missing)
>>   where toto is a valid hostname.
>>   I think this should return an error and exiting instead of trying to
>>   connect.
>>   This is reproductible in emacs -Q with C-x C-f => /ssh:toto RET
>
> "/ssh:toto" is a valid remote file name, with the host part being "ssh",
> and the default method (likely "scp"). "toto" is the local file name on
> the remote host.
No i mean when toto is hostname, the right syntax is /ssh:toto: but not
/ssh:toto and should not connect in this case.
I return an error here in such case (i.e When user press ENTER on
/ssh:toto) instead of hanging.

>> - `tramp-parse-connection-properties' should return a list of (user
>>   host) as described in docstring, however it return sometimes a list of
>>   (user method), so i have to parse this to remove such entries.
>>   (not a big deal though, but well..)
>
> Could you, please, give an example?
Can't reproduce right now, maybe it happen after many wrong operations
testing my code, i will try later.

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: