Re: tramp (2.2.5-pre); Lingering default-directory causing damage

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.5-pre); Lingering default-directory causing damage
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 09:42:48 +0200

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dave,

>> So we have a conflict, 'cause faking the default directory would also
>> hit buffers I do not want to change this way in my use case.
>
> Even if it's just tied to cleanup-all-buffers?

That might be possible. But it's still a second class solution, 'cause
Tramp would change configuration done by other packages. I have a bad
feeling.

>> Wouldn't it be better to ask the Gnus folks to use a local default
>> directory for their buffers? Like this:
>>
>> (let ((default-directory user-emacs-directory))
>>  ...)
>
> Hahaha.  The funny thing is, the Gnus folks don't seem to think it's
> their business to solve this problem either.  See
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11666

I haven't seen this; I don't follow gnus bugs per default. I will hook
into this discussion, let's see. Thanks for the pointer.

Best regards, Michael.