Re: Find-file at point cannot manage tramp file syntax

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Find-file at point cannot manage tramp file syntax
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 13:08:26 +0200

Stéphane Senesi <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stéphane

> First and second syntax (i.e. abosulte pathname and tilde prefix) do
> not work well, as shown in the mini-buffer : they seem to generate a
> search on the local machine
> Third syntax (relative path) works well

Thanks, now I've got it.

In fact, it is not an error. ffap offers you what it gets: opening an
absolute file name in the first two cases. The reason that it works with
relative file names, is a collateral damage: It uses `expand-file-name'
towards the default directory, which is remote.

> This does not occur with the ftp method, but occurs also with the ssh
> method

Reading the code of ffap.el, there is some special handling for
ange-ftp. This explains, why it works for that method.

However, I believe your expectations are valid. I will bring it to the
emacs-devel mailing list, asking whether it is OK to change ffap.el such
a way.

> Thanks for your help

Best regards, Michael.