Re: how to get bash_profile out of the way?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: how to get bash_profile out of the way?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:46:32 +0100

Rodrigo Amestica <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Rodrigo,

> recently I have updated to emacs 24.2.1 which implies tramp 2.2.3-24.1
> and now the problem has gone away! Still having a bash prompt with two
> lines now I get clean grep or compile buffers which I can beautifully
> browse with f12! An incredible life improvement!
>
> Days after the update I noticed that trying to dired directories with
> too many files would provoke a 'Stack overflow' error. Quickly I found
> this posting
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2012-06/msg00000.html
>
> and right away patched tramp.el. Now dired works good! But shortly
> after that I'm discovering that now I'm back to the original polluted
> buffer problem. My remote salute is again intermixed with grep or
> compile outputs.
>
> Does this help understanding the cause of my original problem? For now
> I have disabled the 'Stack overflow' patch.

Hmm, I've read the old thread. We have been working on fixing this with
Tramp 2.2.5. This release contains the patch you have mentioned.

OTOH, Emacs 24.2 comes with Tramp 2.2.3, without that patch.

I believe we should still continue to solve the problem with the recent
Tramp version. This is 2.2.6 meanwhile, which will also be integrated in
Emacs 24.3 (in pretest).

Do you have a chance to install Tramp 2.2.6? If yes, please set
tramp-verbose to 6, rerun the test, and send the traces. We should fix
it now, finally!

> thanks,
>  Rodrigo

Best regards, Michael.