Re: tramp-dropbox

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: tramp-dropbox
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:04:32 +1000

* Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:

  > The basic actions are clear: implement the file name handler functions
  > as for every other protocol, as much as possible. Something like
  > file-attributes, copy-file, write-region and friends.

You would only ever be working on local files, so none of this would be
needed.  All an emacs dropbox client would need to do is transfer to/from
the server, and then _only_ if there was no native dropbox daemon
running.

The emacs client would need two modes of operation, one where there is a
native daemon available, and one where there isn't.  In the case of the
former (native daemon available) the client should get everything it
needs from the daemon (which wouldn't be much).  All communication with
the dropbox server would be handled by the daemon.

Actually, now that I think about it, an Emacs Dropbox client should be
nothing more than a frontend to the native daemon running on localhost.
So forget what I said about two modes of operation. :-)

  > Other functions cannot be implemented for the dropbox protocol, like
  > process-file and start-file-process; but those functions are not
  > used in (S)XEmacs anyway.

What do these functions (#'process-file, #'start-file-process) do?  Are
they something we'd want to add to SXEmacs?  And why do I have this
feeling I've asked you this before? :-)

  > The interesting decisions are around synchronization: Should all saved
  > files be pushed to the server immediately? Should the server be checked
  > for file changes before a local copy is opened?

Nope.  Let the daemon take care of it all.

  > Shall we support access to file revisions, via a new package
  > vc-dropbox?

This would be of limited value considering that revisions only go back
30 days on the free a/c's.  I'd be more inclined to create a git repo
out of the local dropbox directory.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|       SXEmacs - The only _______ you'll ever need.       |