Re: Tramp vs. ControlPath

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp vs. ControlPath
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:10:47 +0200

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yes, I thought a while whether I should make it a defcustom.
>> Unfortunately, it is kind of risky to change it, and it could stop Tramp
>> proper work if set poorly. That's why I made it a defconst only, in
>> order not to encourage people to change it if not absolutely necessary.
>
> On the other hand, in this case Tramp doesn't work properly unless this
> option is configured anyway...

Don't believe so. If a user hasn't added Control* options to
~/.ssh/config, Tramp works out of the box.

> Would it be too much work to write a parser for ~/.ssh/config to find
> out automatically if a Control* setting already applies for the given
> host?

Anything goes. However, I fear this is a Pandora's box. There are other
options in ~/.ssh/config to be parsed (e.g., the user name); I've
resisted so far.

Maybe a compromise would be to add

(defcustom tramp-use-ssh-controlmaster-options
  (not (zerop (length tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options)))
  "Whether to use `tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options'".
  :group 'tramp
  :type 'boolean)

D'accord?

Best regards, Michael.