Re: tramp (2.2.7-pre); Error copying: `lost connection`

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.7-pre); Error copying: `lost connection`
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:47:18 +0200

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dave,

> Just trying to save or copy a particular file, I get that message.  I
> can scp it across without any problems.
>
> Here are the messages with tramp-verbose = 6

I suspect the following is the cause of your problem:

> 20:37:25.817091 tramp-send-command (6) # exec ssh   -o
> ControlPath=/var/folders/b2/w0_x7_854hz82sbrdxqqd6gr0000gn/T/address@hidden:%p
>  -o ControlMaster=yes -e none fripp
> 20:37:40.192174 tramp-process-actions (6) #
> ControlPath
> "/var/folders/b2/w0_x7_854hz82sbrdxqqd6gr0000gn/T/address@hidden:22.y3M5XNjmnokm6g9t"
>  too long for Unix domain socket

So you need another temporary file name for ControlPath. Maybe you could
simply use "scp" as method name instead of "scpc", as work around. No
ControlPath will be added then, at least for Tramp 2.2.7-pre.

However, things have changed, and "scpc" does not exist any longer as
method in recent Tramp 2.2.8-pre, which shall be relased in September as
2.2.8. If you migrate to that revision, the Tramp manual includes a
discussion how to tweak ControlPath, and replace it with an own one.

I don't know of a general solution yet, Tramp generates the ControlPath
from the pattern "<temporary file>address@hidden:%p". But for sure Tramp shall
detect such an error, and Tramp shall fire an appropriate error message
at least. Will work on this next days.

Since I don't run Mac OS: could you, please, check what's the upper
length limit for Unix domain sockets on your machine?

Best regards, Michael.