Re: `tramp-theme-mode-line-buffer-identification' interference

From: Live System User
Subject: Re: `tramp-theme-mode-line-buffer-identification' interference
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 08:36:09 -0400

Hi Michael,
> Live System User <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,

>>         Please advise.
>
> Honestly, I have no idea what you are speaking about. Could you, please,
> tell what's the problem, and give a recipe how to reproduce it, starting
> with emacs -Q.

  Unfortunately, you can't reproduce this problem with "emacs -Q"
  because the customize feature doesn't save any changes when you
  do that.

  Steps to reproduce:

0. Create a .emacs file with only the following:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/themes")

(setq custom-theme-directory "~/.emacs.d/themes/")

(if (boundp 'custom-theme-load-path)
    (add-to-list 'custom-theme-load-path (file-name-as-directory
                                      (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/themes"))))

(setq custom-file  ; Use a separate customize file so as to not clutter .emacs
      (concat "~/.emacs.d/custom-theme-test"
              (int-to-string emacs-major-version)))

(load-theme 'tramp t nil) ; tramp-theme has an eval, so load before custom-file.

(load custom-file 'noerror)

1. emacs &

2. M-x load-theme RET tramp
Treat this theme as safe in future sessions? (y or n) y

3. C-x C-f file.txt

   You will see that "file.txt" in the mode-line.

4. C-h v mode-line-buffer-identification

mode-line-buffer-identification is a variable defined in ‘bindings.el’.
Its value is shown below.

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set.
  This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

Documentation:
Mode line construct for identifying the buffer being displayed.
Its default value is ("%12b") with some text properties added.
Major modes that edit things other than ordinary files may change this
(e.g. Info, Dired,...)

Value:
(#("%12b" 0 4
   (local-map
    (keymap
     (header-line keymap
                  (mouse-3 . mode-line-next-buffer)
                  (down-mouse-3 . ignore)
                  (mouse-1 . mode-line-previous-buffer)
                  (down-mouse-1 . ignore))
     (mode-line keymap
                (mouse-3 . mode-line-next-buffer)
                (mouse-1 . mode-line-previous-buffer)))
    mouse-face mode-line-highlight help-echo "Buffer name\nmouse-1: Previous
buffer\nmouse-3: Next buffer" face mode-line-buffer-id)))

Local in buffer file.txt; global value is
(:eval
 (tramp-theme-mode-line-buffer-identification))

        Exit Emacs and restart and try editing a file:

5. C-x C-c

6. emacs &

7. C-x C-f file.txt

   You now don't see "file.txt" in the mode-line

8. C-h v mode-line-buffer-identification

mode-line-buffer-identification is a variable defined in ‘bindings.el’.
Its value is ('(:eval
   (tramp-theme-mode-line-buffer-identification)))

Local in buffer file.txt; global value is
(:eval
 (tramp-theme-mode-line-buffer-identification))

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set.
  This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

Documentation:
Mode line construct for identifying the buffer being displayed.
Its default value is ("%12b") with some text properties added.
Major modes that edit things other than ordinary files may change this
(e.g. Info, Dired,...)

      Thanks.