repost : ssh on NT emacs

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: repost : ssh on NT emacs
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 23:54:19 +0530

This may have already been covered before but I thought I'd let people
know I could get 'GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32) of 2014-10-24 on
LEG570' to ssh to a local VM on port 2222.

The steps are fairly involved and you need to have cygwin installed
along with gcc in it to make this work.

I followed the instructions mentioned here
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SshWithNTEmacs#toc2 with a minor
difference that I used a different fork from the original fakecgpty
mentioned.  I downloaded it from https://github.com/d5884/fakecygpty

Follow the instructions on both pages, make sure the binaries are
found by Emacs and you're good to go.

and you connect like /cygssh:address@hidden:~/

It might be a good idea to enable backups when editing files and
making Messages buffer bigger(setq message-log-max 5000) .  Remote
editing managed to clobber my .Emacs file though I can't reproduce the
problem exactly.  I think the minibuffer was doing something
'...decoding file' or something when I hit C-g.  I had backup enabled
and also a git repo and so was back up in quick time.

In order to avoid any weirdness, I'd recommend a new Emacs instance
for the ssh/tramp connection sessions.

sivaram