Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); feature request: easy escape for `M-!' to run c

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); feature request: easy escape for `M-!' to run command locally
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 13:19:40 +0200

[Sorry, sent too early. Next try :-) ]

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dave,

> When working primarily remotely through TRAMP, I keep finding myself
> wanting to run a command on my local machine, so I have to `C-x C-f
> <delete-everything>~' first, which messes up my window layout, etc.
>
> It would be awesome if I could `C-u C-u M-!' (or something) and get the
> local command without jumping through hoops.  Or is there a better way?

M-! invokes `shell-command'. It does not care too much about the prefix
argument C-u, its docstrings says

Execute string COMMAND in inferior shell; display output, if any.
With prefix argument, insert the COMMAND’s output at point.

It might be a good idea to extend the prefix mechanism in order to allow
changing `default-directory', but this is a feature request. You might
ask for this by writing an Emacs bug report.

Alternatively, you could write an own function, and bind it to your own
key. Something like (untested)

(defun my-shell-command (command &optional output-buffer error-buffer)
  "My own implementation of `shell-command', running on local host."
  (interactive "i")
  (let ((default-directory (expand-file-name "~/")))
    (if (called-interactively-p 'any)
        (call-interactively 'shell-command)
      (shell-command command output-buffer error-buffer))))

(define-key global-map "\M-*" 'my-shell-command)

> Thanks,
> Dave

Best regards, Michael.