Re: Can't create auto-save files when using tramp on Windows

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Can't create auto-save files when using tramp on Windows
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 20:29:21 +0300

You can actually set tramp-auto-save-directory to something and auto-save would work again, as described by people on Spacemacs github.

Other than that, you're quite right as to the cause. Windows does not allow ":" in filenames. Emacs also normally does not allow saving with filenames like this, but (system-type 'not-windows) in tramp-handle-make-auto-save-file-name overrides this. Names produced by emacs look like this:

address@hidden

Also, tramp has it's own escape function, but it's used only when tramp-auto-save-directory is non nil. For the same file this would produce:

address@hidden

After looking for the purpose of that commit, I found out that it was an attempt to fix earlier windows problem. That bug it still fixed even if we remove (system-type 'not-windows).

So, Michael, I think you can just remove that and that would be the fix. (system-type 'not-windows) should not have any effect on anything but Windows, right?

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev