Re: Cannot execute org babel shell script over tramp to remote termux (A

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Cannot execute org babel shell script over tramp to remote termux (Android) due to tmpdir issues
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 10:58:20 +0200

Matt Mello <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Matt,

> This worked:
>
> set-variable org-babel-remote-temporary-directory
> "/data/data/com.termux/files/home/"

According to the directory listing in the traces,
"/data/data/com.termux/files/home/tmp" might be the better choice. And
maybe there exist also "/data/data/com.termux/files/tmp".

> However, it seems that this is actually a bug in org-babel.
> When running scripts remotely, org-babel should probably use the same
> logic that tramp does ... or else just let tramp do the calculations,
> like other parts of emacs do.

Instead of using `make-temp-file', `make-nearby-temp-file' shall be used
in ob-core. This handles also remote directories, and org shouldn't care
about being local or remote. Tramp would "do the calculations" then, as
you wrote.

The disadvantage is, that `make-nearby-temp-file' has been introduced
with Emacs 26, so it is relatively fresh. org must still provide
compatibility code, 'tho.

You might go to the org mailing list with this issue, or even write a
bug report on this. Keep me in Cc, I guess the org people would like to
get some background information from Tramp.

> Thanks!
>
> --- Matt

Best regards, Michael.