Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); TRAMP hangs if .inputrc binds C-j

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); TRAMP hangs if .inputrc binds C-j
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 14:24:04 +0200

Davor Cubranic <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Davor,

> My TRAMP connections were hanging waiting for remote shell prompt to
> multiple hosts and platforms. I finally tracked down the issue to having
> "Control-j: next-history" in my .inputrc. If I define that binding
> conditionally only on non-dumb terminals, TRAMP has no trouble
> connecting and editing files, with the default parameters (as set by
> Spacemacs, anyways).
>
> The problem seems to occur if either the source or the destination
> system binds C-j this way.

Thanks for the report.

I cannot see what we can do here. C-j, the line feed char, is used here
and there in communication with the remote machine, especially when
machines are running macOS. We could add some warning in the Tramp
manual, avoiding to bind C-j. That's it.

Hmmm ... maybe setting $INPUTRC inside Tramp's communication to
"/dev/null" might help? But this would annoy people who use an
interactive shell on the remote host via Tramp. So better to warn only
the few people with key bindings like you.

What else do you expect?

Best regards, Michael.