Re: Question about remote path.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Question about remote path.
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:46:11 +0100

Ergus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi:

Hi,

> 1) I have some applications in a non default remote path (gtags, rg,
> git) and these can be used from some emacs packages like counsel. The
> path is different for every server I touch. What's the canonical method
> to modify the tramp-remote-path depending of the remote server I am
> connected to? Or where in the remote server I should modify the PATH in
> order to help tramp to find them.

The canonical method would be to regard `tramp-remote-path' as
connection-local variable. I fear this doesn't work yet properly whith
`tramp-remote-path'; will check.

> I tried adding the path in the ~/.profile as:
>
> ```
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin:$HOME/bin:$HOME
> PATH=$HOME/myinstall/utils/bin:$PATH
>
> export PATH
> ```
>
> But this didn't work.

This shall work. But you must instruct Tramp to accept the settings in
your .profile. This is done by adding the symbol `tramp-own-remote-path'
to `tramp-remote-path', as explained in the manual.

> The tramp manual explains to set the
> tramp-remote-path, but what should we do when we have multiple servers
> to access constantly? May I use some if in list? whats the variable to
> compare in that case?
>
> Is it possible to use one of the alist in the documentation, or there is
> something missing in the .profile code?

I fear this case isn't handled/documented yet properly. Will check next
week (just now I'm occupied by other duties)

> 2) One a bit more complex:
>
> Normally some servers use modules and I need to load them before
> compiling a file

Isn't it possible to define this dependency in the Makefile?

> for example or execute a specific : M-x
> extended_command
>
> Do you have any suggestion for this workflow??

Hmm, I don't understand this completely. Could you pls give me an
example, especially what you mean by loading modules. A kernel module?

> Thanks in advance
> Ergus

Best regards, Michael.