Re: Directory "foo:bar@1:23" destroys Emacs session on M-x tramp-unload-

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Directory "foo:bar@1:23" destroys Emacs session on M-x tramp-unload-tramp
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2019 14:31:41 +0100

address@hidden writes:

Hi,

[Pls keep address@hidden in Cc, for the archives]

> I'm not sure that's a proper fix. The issue isn't that tramp is loaded. I'd
> expect some tramp code to run on M-x tramp-ANYTHING.
>
> The issue is that some tramp code makes Emacs completely
> unusable. That code is executed when I M-x tramp-unload-tramp in
> `emacs -Q foo:bar@1:23/asdf`. The same code is also executed when I
> use ivy's `counsel-find-file` without ever having used tramp.

I see. Anyway, the patch of tramp-unload-tramp is useful, thanks for the
test case.

> Another way to reproduce this issue is the following:
>
> 1. Somehow install ivy/swiper/counsel: https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper
>
> 2. Run `emacs -Q foo:bar@1:23/asdf`
>
> 3. M-x counsel-find-file
>
> 4. Observe same issue as with M-x tramp-unload-tramp

I've done this, installing the packages from MELPA, and the error
occurs also for me. This test gave me the chance to debug further
(tramp-unload-tramp doesn't leave enough Tramp code for debugging :-)

Finally, I found the culprit in tramp-initial-file-name-regexp. I've
fixed this, and now counsel-find-file works properly.

The bad news for you is still, that it changes an autoload object. That
means, you will see the fix only with a recent checkout of Emacs 27.0.50.
OTOH, Emacs 27.0.50 will start the pretest soon; an Emacs 27.1 will
appear within some few months. Hopefully.

Best regards, Michael.